Twenty Questions With KATIE!
Each Tuesday we feature a different success story from the Trading Cardio for Cosmos community in a new segment called “Twenty Questions With…” Young, young at heart, marathon runners and those who can’t exercise at all, vegetarians, pescatarians, working mommas, work-from-home professionals and retirees. We’re going to showcase them all, because when you read about someone like you succeeding, I think it gives you the confidence that you too can succeed!
This week I want to introduce you to Katie, who has been working her Weight Watchers plan for the past nine months, while balancing being a mom to two toddlers! Katie’s messages about taking the leap, portion control, handling cravings and exercising moderation are things we can ALL learn from, no matter where we are in our journey!
Now onto the questions:
1. Give us the basics about you – your first name, age, region you live in, etc.
Hello there! My name is Katie and I’m 33 years old from the beautiful small town of Placerville (Northern California). I’m a proud Momma of two girls, 4 & 3.
2. When did you start your weight-loss journey? What was the “tipping point” that made you start?
I started my journey on June 18, 2015. I weighed in to my first Weight Watchers meeting at my heaviest: 209lbs. At that point, I had just had family portraits done. When we got the pictures back, I could not believe how overweight and unhealthy I had let myself become. I never again wanted to be in a picture. Those pictures haunted me for a few weeks, before I decided to really TRY to do something about it.
3. What is one piece of advice you wish you had known when you started out?
Be patient and kind to yourself. Little by little you will get there but all good things come with time. I still tell myself this every week.
4. How much weight have you lost? If you are done losing, and are on to maintaining? How long have you been maintaining your loss?
I have lost 54lbs and weigh in at 155. I’m still going! Now it’s just a challenge for myself to see how far I can go. It’s fun to see your body transform and feels great!
5. How do you keep your motivation up?
Keeping my end goal in the front of my mind keeps me going. I love going to the gym now! I never did before, and now I’m sorta addicted!
6. How do you handle cravings?
Well, my cravings usually have to do with chocolate. I keep a low-point chocolate bar with me at all times, just in case.
7. What are your top three tips for success?
a. Tracking is very important to my success.
b. Always having healthy food choices with me, wherever I go.
c. Working out.
8. Do you exercise? If so, how often, for how long and what type of exercises do you do?
I exercise 4-5 times a week, for about an hour at a time. I’ll use the treadmill for a warm up. Then hit the stairmaster, which is my favorite because it kicks my butt! Then weight machines and free weights. I do a large variety of different exercises so I don’t get bored.
9. What is your favorite breakfast?
I eat 2 scrambled eggs, ham and a fruit. I haven’t gotten into egg whites yet. If I make myself a good breakfast, it’s easier to get through the first half of the day without feeling hungry.
10. What is your go-to lunch?
Usually a sandwich with veggies and fruit on the side. I use Sara Lee delight bread, mustard, ham or turkey and a slice of cheese and wash it down with a big glass of water.
11. What does a typical week night dinner look like? What about a weekend dinner?
I like to mix it up for dinner, but it’s always a lean protein, veggies and a starch. It might be fajitas or a casserole. I just make everything on the leaner side. And of course, I exercise portion control. Saturdays are my cheat day and we usually go out to dinner. I like to have a cocktail or two and I’ll enjoy whatever it is that I want. I worked hard all week so I don’t feel bad splurging on my cheat day.
12. What kind of snacks do you like?
I like almond nut thins, fruit, carrots, celery, protein bar, string cheese.
13. What kind of desserts do you eat?
I LOVE dessert, my go to is the WW Caramel Chocolate Bar for 2SP. It does the trick for me.
14. What kind of adult beverages do you enjoy?
I enjoy ALL adult beverages! My favorite is a really good margarita or Moscow mule. Champagne, wine….the list goes on and on. I will drink socially or on cheat days, but I don’t throughout the week.
15. What is your favorite meal to eat in a restaurant?
I’m a lover of seafood. So I’ll order a nice fish with steamed veggies.
16. Do you have a favorite fast food/casual dining meal?
I try not to do fast food. If I do, it’s usually Chick Fil A and I’ll get the grilled nuggets.
17. Do you have a favorite weight loss blog/website/FB group that you visit for inspiration?
18. Do you have a favorite website for healthy recipes?
19. Do you have a favorite quote, meme or thought that keeps you motivated?
20. What’s one final thought you can share with someone who’s interested in losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight?
If not now….when???? Have faith in yourself! Believe in yourself! You have the power to do it.